- Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast: An Introduction to GP and GP Nurse FellowshipsIn this podcast, Lisa and Sara speak with GP and GM training hub Clinical Lead Dr Gill Tonge about GP and GP Nurse Fellowships.
- Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast: HeadachesIn the latest episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Lisa and Sara speak to Consultant Neurologist, Dr Matt Jones about headaches.
- Bursary scheme for Primary Care Managers Level 7 Diploma in Primary Care DevelopmentWe are pleased to invite primary care managers working in General Practice or Primary Care Networks from across Greater Manchester to take up an exceptional opportunity of applying for a bursary towards achieving a Level 7 diploma in primary care development.
- GM gastroenterology GP education webinarThe Greater Manchester gastroenterology GP education webinar was held on the 24th September 2020 and introduced participants to the updated endoscopy referral pathways. Presentations, questions and answers and a recording of the webinar are available to download and watch.
- Respiratory conditions – Remote consulting tips for GPNsThis document provides guidance for general practices on managing patients with respiratory conditions remotely via either telephone or video consultations.
- Diabetes – Remote consulting tips for GPNsThis document provides guidance for general practices on managing patients with diabetes remotely via either telephone or video consultations.
- What is the natural history of oxygenation and symptoms during the course of COVID-19 amongst people staying at home? IRAS Project ID: 283310There is little research yet on people reporting symptoms from first onset of probable COVID-19 and comparing this to oximetry readings. We want to understand symptoms and oxygen levels relative to subsequent illness course for people staying at home with COVID-19. We want to know ...
- COVID-19: Episode 9: Suspected Cancer During COVID-19In this podcast Lisa and Sara speak with Dr Sarah Taylor and Dr Viren Mehta about the challenges in general practice at the moment in assessing and investigating patients for suspected cancer symptoms.
- Information about COVID-19 for primary care in Greater ManchesterGreater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership have published information about useful resources related to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in primary care settings across Greater Manchester at https://gmprimarycare.org.uk/coronavirus.
- COVID-19 Episode 7: Research into COVID-19 in Primary CareIn this podcast, Lisa and Sara talk to doctors involved in primary care research to give an overview of what developments are happening in COVID-19 research in the community at the moment.
- The Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast: COVID-19 Episode 6: ShieldingCOVID-19 Episode 6: Shielding (supported by GP Excellence) There have been a lot of questions within primary care regarding shielding and vulnerable patients. Sara and Lisa speak to Dr Joanna Bircher and Dr Viren Mehta about the confusion and get their thoughts on the subject. In the episode ...
- Greater Manchester Training HubThe Greater Manchester Training Hub is a collaboration of four local training hubs, providing support for general practice around workforce development and retention.
- The Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast: COVID-19 – Episode 3The Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast: COVID-19 COVID-19 Episode 3: Managing COVID-19 in General Practice (supported by GP Excellence) Lisa and Sara are joined by GPs Dr Viren Mehta and Dr Joanna Bircher who summarise new guidelines and evidence relevant in primary care this week. Covered this ...
- The Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast: COVID-19 – Episode 2In this, our second of the COVID-19 specific episodes, GPs Lisa and Sara are joined electronically by Dr Dan Bunstone (GP and Clinical Director of Warrington CCG and Chief Medical Officer at Push Doctor) and Dr Joanna Bircher (GP partner, clinical director for GP Excellence ...
- GP Excellence Programme newsletter January 2020The January issue of the GP Excellence programme newsletter covers: the forthcoming Practice Managers Conference and GP Complaints Handling workshops, the support offer fromn AQuA to help practices to achieve the QI domain of the QoF, Free PMA e-learning opportunities for non-clinical staff, a QI case study, a spotlight on primary care based research and much more.
- Support to Achieve QI QoF DomainThe Advancing Quality Alliance (AQuA) are offering general practice members tailored support to help practices to achieve the QI domain of the Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) in Prescribing Safety and End of Life Care.
- Free 3 hour GP Complaints Handling workshopNHS England are providing a free 3 hour GP Complaints Handling workshop in Manchester on 12 March 2020 which aims to support general practices in preventing and managing complaints and improving the service provided to patients.
- GP Excellence Newsletter – November 2019The November issue of the GP Excellence programme newsletter covers: Practice Managers’ Conference, Outstanding practices, the LGBT Foundation's Pride in Practice Awards, Courses and training opportunities, the Primary Care Awards 2019, the NNWLA Primary Care Development Fund and an update on Tier 2 Sponsorship.
- Time for Care Quality Improvement for Early Career GPsThe Time for Care programme is offering a fully funded two day quality improvement workshop for early career GPs (ST3 - First-five). The two day programme for the North West region will take place in Manchester on 26 and 27 February 2020.
- Leadership development opportunities for talented and aspiring leaders in primary careThe NHS North West Leadership Academy (NHS NWLA) have developed a menu of leadership development ‘offers’ to ensure that primary care professionals are inspired, equipped and supported in leadership roles.
- Primary Care Networks – Next Steps for Practice Managers ConferenceNHS England and NHS Improvement are holding a series of dedicated regional events this autumn for Practice Managers.
- Improvement Leaders in Primary Care programmeAQuA's Improvement Leaders programme will support you to build upon your existing knowledge whilst learning new skills with our team of expert improvement advisors and leaders of improvement in primary care.
- Be a Greater Manchester NurseThe Be a Greater Manchester Nurse campaign aims to recruit nurses in Greater Manchester, growing the profession and opening up opportunities for current, returning and future practitioners.
- Post CCT GP Fellowship Programme 2019/2020Details of 36 GP Fellowship posts available as part of a programme led by Health Education England to support newly qualified GPs to develop the leadership and advanced clinical skills required for the future of GP development.
- GP Excellence Newsletter – August 2019The August issue of the GP Excellence programme newsletter covers: Time for Care, Outstanding practices, the new GPNEN website, Post CCT fellowships and how to apply, new quality improvement report on Sodium Valproate prescribing and an update on Tier 2 Sponsorship.
- QOF Quality Improvement (QI) Modules – What’s it all about?The idea behind introducing ‘QI Modules’ rather than targets is that practices can be flexible and, mostly, work on a project that is specific to their patient needs, aiming towards an outcome that is valued by the patients and the practice, and using sound QI methods.
- Clinical research in primary careIn this video members of the Clinial Research Network for Greater Manchester explain the wide-ranging benefits of carrying out clinical research in the primary care setting of GP practices and pharmacies.
- Time for Care Quality Improvement for General Practice NursesTime for Care Quality Improvement for General Practice Nurses is a two day programme designed for all nurses working in general practice across North West and North East England.
- GP AssistantsThe GP Assistant (GPA) is a new role being created in order to relieve some of the pressure on GPs. Former RCGP Chair Dr Maureen Baker says the assistants would be ‘a cross between a healthcare assistant and a doctor’s PA’ which could provide a ‘short term injection of support’ for general practice.
- Recruitment and Retention – Tier 2 Visa SponsorshipHas your practice considered becoming a Tier 2 sponsorship license holder? This licence will allow you to employ non-EEA workers, which can help support clinical recruitment and retention.
- GP Excellence Newsletter May 2019The GP Excellence Newsletter offers the latest news and information from the GP Excellence team. The May edition features the Pride in Practice scheme, GM COPD Virtual Learning Hub, improving the prescribing of opioid based analgesia at Springfield Medical Centre and an article on the the benefits of the CPRD research initiative.
- High dose opioids per 1000 patients – Springfield House Medical Practice As a practice of 10,000 patients, Springfield Medical Centre identified all patients who were prescribed opiate based analgesia at daily doses greater than 120mg. In total, 35 patients were identified and they spent the last 12 months reducing these doses down to below 120mg. ...
- MSc in Integrated Community HeathcareThe GM GP Excellence Programme may be able to help to support some of the fees towards your MSc in Integrated Community Healthcare and Leadership. Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- The Practice Nurse Foundation CourseThis course aims to enhance the competence and confidence of registered practitioners new to working with a General Practice surgery, as autonomous professionals.
- Greater Manchester General Practice Nursing Resource PackThe GM General Practice Nurse Collaborative (GPN) has developed this resource pack in order that practices have access to information about nurse competencies, job descriptions and career pathways including levels of pay, terms and conditions for Nurses working in general practice.
- NICE cancer guidance training for Practice and District nursesThis free and highly interactive session is focused on looking at the changes within NICE cancer referral criteria that specifically relate to Practice, and District, nurses. It is also an opportunity to refresh existing skills and knowledge to help nurses awareness of signs and symptoms, ...
- COPD – Greater Manchester COPD ProgrammeHealth Innovation Manchester is bringing together resources from the NHS, social care and pharmaceutical industry to ensure that every person with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) has access to equitable, high quality care. This clinician-led learning tool aims to support local GP practices in the care of patients with COPD.
- COPD – Living with the conditionPatients in Greater Manchester have lent their voices and stories to a new Aardman animation, the creators of “Wallace & Gromit”, focused on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). The film sees COPD patients discuss experience of living with the condition and the importance of having a voice in their care, all while animated as a variety of animals and pets.
- GP Excellence Newsletter – March 2019The March 2019 edition of the GP Excellence Newsletter includes coverage from the GM Practice Managers' Conference 2019, details about FairChain SMS, the rollout of the NHS App, Leadership and Development Opportunities and the GMMSc in Integrated Community Healthcare and Leadership.
- Leadership Development Opportunities for primary care in Greater ManchesterThe North West Leaderships Academy have developed a wide menu of leadership development opportunities for primary care colleagues across Greater Manchester.
- Chain SMSDoes your practice use Chain SMS? Chain SMS is available from AccuRX ad can be used by practices to send text messages to patients for a range of purposes including recall, care plans, patient information and delivering test results. Using Chain SMS benefits both practice ...
- Personal Professional Development in Public Health or Primary CareThe Personal Professional Development course meets the training needs of health professionals who are either interested in a career in public health or want to develop new skills in a specific area of public health, primary care or research methods.
- MSc Advanced Leadership for Professional PracticeThe MSc Advanced Leadership for Professional Practice gives allied healthcare professionals the knowledge and skills they need to enhance their practice and prepare for leadership roles. The course is aimed at registered professionals such as dieticians, audiologists, speech and language therapists, physiotherapists, paramedics and occupational therapists who seek continuing professional development opportunities.
- MRes Primary CareThe MRes Primary Care course is an innovative distance learning research degree that provides an introduction to research development, mainly for those currently in the healthcare workforce who wish to become researchers or pursue a research pathway within their profession.
- MSc Advanced Leadership for Professional Practice (Nursing)The MSc in Advanced Leadership for Professional Practice gives registered nurses the knowledge and skills they need to enhance their practice and prepare for leadership roles.
- MSc Clinical PharmacyThis masters degree in offfers part-time distance and blended learning options that enable practitioners to develop clinical, leadership and research skills while working as a pharmacist.
- Integrated Community Healthcare and Leadership (MSc/PgDip/PgCert)This new part-time masters degree aims to help people to develop the leadership skills needed to lead neighbourhoods and networks and deliver integrated health and social care services in line with the NHS longterm plan and the new GP contract. Anyone who works in primary care in Greater Manchester may be eligible for a bursary to support their fees.
- GP Excellence Newsletter – January 2019The January 2019 issue of the GP Excellence Newsletter includes reflections on the recent Practice Managers Conference, an article on re-thinking Patient Safety and a case study on Cornbrook Medical Practice.
- NICE Chronic Heart Failure Guidelines in Adults 2018This guideline covers diagnosing and managing chronic heart failure in people aged 18 and over in primary care and the community. It aims to improve diagnosis and treatment to increase the length and quality of life for people with heart failure.
- Greater Manchester GP Excellence Practice Managers’ ConferenceThe Greater Manchester GP Excellence Practice Manager Conference brings together a variety of inspiring leadership and motivational speakers and providing expertise to support and address the challenges practice managers are currently facing. It takes place from 9:30-16:30 on 6th February 2019 at the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel.
- GP Excellence Programme’s Newsletter November 2018Our latest newsletter provides an update on the work underway across Greater Manchester as part of the GP Excellence Programme
- Building Resilience Primary Care Workshop: Supporting Leaders Across System – 31 October 2018A number of free places have become available on the upcoming event – Building Resilience Primary Care Workshop: Supporting Leaders Across System scheduled to take place on 31 October 2018 in Lancaster. These places will be offered on a first come, first served basis – so book early to avoid disappointment.
- GP Excellence Newsletter – September 2018The September 2018 issue of the newsletter provides an update on the work underway across Greater Manchester as part of the GP Excellence programme. It includes information about the learning and support available for your practice along with a feature on social prescribing work at the Alvanley Family Practice in Stockport and a look at the content for quality improvement work.
- NHS North West Leadership Academy Mentoring SchemeThe North West Leadership Academy Mentoring Scheme is open to GPs, Practice Managers and wider practice teams across Greater Manchester.
- Diploma in Advanced Primary Care ManagementThis is a comprehensive diploma for people who are managing primary care and are becoming responsible for creating and running primary care provision at scale including primary care networks, new care models, GP super practices and GP or other primary care federations.
- Reducing the number of incoming telephone callsLockside Medical Centre, a practice in Greater Manchester share their experience in a short case study video of undertaking a quality improvement project on reducing the number of incoming phone calls to their practice.
- Improving the prescribing of opioid based analgesia at Springfield Medical CentreSpringfield Medical Centre is a general practice with 10,000 patients in Eccles. The practice recently undertoook a successful project to improve prescribing of opioid based analgesia.
- Urban Village Medical Practice Homeless Healthcare Service (incorporating the mpath service)Urban Village Medical Practice is a GP practice based at Ancoats Primary Care Centre on the outskirts of Manchester city centre. As well as providing primary healthcare to over 10,000 registered general patients the team at the practice have also been providing healthcare to homeless people in Manchester since 1991.
- Improving Processes in Salford GP PracticesPractices Improving Processes in Salford, otherwise known as PIPS, was a Breakthrough Series (BTS) Collaborative designed to improve efficiency in eight Salford GP practices with a view to share learning across Salford by using Quality Improvement (QI) methodologies.
- Reducing harm to patients taking high risk drugs in SalfordPractices Improving the Safety of Medicines in Salford, otherwise known as PrISMS, was a Breakthrough Series Collaborative designed to improve medication safety in 8 Salford GP practices with a view to scale up across all GP practices in Salford.
- Social prescribing – The Alvanley WaySocial prescribing and having conversations with patients about what matters to them has enabled the practice to reduce its GP workload from 15 to 12 patients per session as well as benefiting the local community and staff morale.
- Reducing strong opiate prescribingFollowing a general rise in prescribing within our practice, this improvement work achieved a reduction in the number of prescriptions for strong opiate medication, drugs of the equivalent strength of codeine 30mg or above, issued per month at Lockside Medical Centre.
- Greater Manchester NHS LibrariesGreater Manchester NHS Libraries provide access to, and signposting of, resources to support education, training, continuing professional development, evidence based practice, and knowledge management. BMJ Best Practice https://bestpractice.bmj.com/ (OpenAthens Password required) Register for a NHS OpenAthens Account https://openathens.nice.org.uk/ Medline, EMBASE, CINAHL, PsycINFO, British Nursing Index (BNI) ...
- Salford CVSSalford CVS is the city-wide infrastructure organisation for the voluntary, community and social enterprise sector; providing specialist information, advice, development support and opportunities for influence and collaboration. We are at the heart of creating a better and fairer Salford A strategy for the voluntary, community and ...
- The Range Medical CentreTRMC are based in Central Manchester serving a diverse population. We aim to provide the very best standard of health care and health advice to all of our patients. Our mission statement is: “to provide a high quality of healthcare for all our patients which ...
- Clinical Research Network Greater ManchesterThe NIHR Clinical Research Network Greater Manchester is passionate about the contribution clinical research can make to patient care and work collaboratively to translate that passion into the effective delivery of studies in the locality.
- Alvanley Family PracticeAt Alvanley Family Practice in Stockport the doctors and nurses take pride in offering the highest standard of patient-centred healthcare. We run many clinics for chronic disease care and offer a wide variety of other medical services such as antenatal and postnatal care, minor surgery, childhood vaccinations and well-person check-ups.
- Health Innovation ManchesterHealth Innovation Manchester is at the forefront of transforming the health and wellbeing of Greater Manchester’s 2.8 million citizens.
- Advancing Quality Alliance (AQuA)Established in 2010, the Advancing Quality Alliance supports its members in the North West to deliver the best health, wellbeing and quality of care for all. We aim to be a trusted source of quality improvement expertise for the NHS and wider health and social care systems.
- Practice Managers Association (PMA)The Practice Managers Association (PMA) aims to support staff by developing the skills needed to meet the challenges they face in today’s NHS.
- The Innovation AgencyThe Innovation Agency, the Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) for the North West Coast, aims to spread innovation, improve health and care and generate economic growth.
- HaeloHaelo is an innovative NHS improvement science centre based in Salford, working with systems, organisations and teams who strive to be the best. Our goal is to tackle the biggest challenges for health and social care.
- Lockside Medical CentreWe are, family friendly, working person friendly, elderly friendly, we take time to look after people with dementia, multiple illnesses, people who are frail, the newborn, small children, parents, carers, people with cancer, people who are approaching their end of their lives and need a hand to hold.