Respiratory conditions – Remote consulting tips for GPNsPublished: 16th June 2020
This document provides guidance for general practices on managing patients with respiratory conditions remotely via either telephone or video consultations.
Within these unprecedented times, the usual call and recall system needs to be replaced with a proactive identification and risk stratification of patients requiring a review. The highest risk patient being those with:
- Exacerbation of COPD within the last 6 months
- More than 1 exacerbation in the last 12 months
- Hospitalisation as a consequence of COPD in the last 12 months
- Have used more than 12 salbutamol inhalers in the last 12 months
- Those already identified as fulfilling the national criteria to shield
- Previous FEV1’s consistently below 500mls
These patients should be listed for a review as a priority, these criteria indicate they are at higher risk of exacerbation/pneumonia without Covid19 infection. Potential infection of Covid19 therefore could easily lead to pneumonia and serious complications.